If you are also a lover of smoothies, you probably already know that how important it is to rotate your greens while making smoothie with green vegetables. Just like using a high quality blender is essential to make a perfect smoothie, changing greens is equally necessary. Now, when you know that this is one of the most important things to consider, you needn’t fret about taking many things in account while making smoothies daily.
In actual, smoothies can be made with any kind of green/vegetable, but just like it is not good to eat same meal every day, it is also not the best option to stick to only one or two greens for your smoothies. Here are some top reasons why it is important to rotate your greens in smoothies.
- Alkaloids – These compounds are found in most of the plants and are usually not harmful unless you get a concentrated amount of it every day. This is due to the fact that regular consumption of one type of alkaloid can even lead to some digestive upset or intolerance to that food.
- Nutrition – Spinach, kale, lettuce, arugula, beet greens, parsley, celery etc. are all filled with so many different nutritional properties. Using these greens in a variety of ways can actually help in enhancing your health.
- Taste – Our taste buds also crave for variety of foods. It is therefore advised not to drink same kind of smoothies every day. Get creative in making unique & delicious drinks for yourself with a variety of healthy smoothie recipes available online.
- Goitrogens – This compound is generally found in greens like broccoli, kale, arugula, Brussels sprouts etc. As these compounds are linked to hypothyroidism and autoimmune disorders, overconsumption of this may cause problems. This really doesn’t mean that you should avoid healthy veggies and greens as they proffer many anti-cancer and hormonal benefits for your health.
- Oxalates – These are a group of molecules known as organic acids. Greens those are rich in oxalates are generally considered as reason behind formation of kidney stones. This is because heavy consumption of oxalate-rich foods results in build-up of calcium deposits. It is therefore advisable to use these oxalate-rich greens once or twice in a week instead of consuming daily.
Always remember that just because veggies and greens are healthy and nutritious food, that doesn’t mean you, should eat only this. As these greens are related to several health issues, be sure not to eat it every day and try something new to remain healthy and fine!